Intro to the mound


Well here it is the first post in the stinkin mound blogspot. For those who are visitors to this site, the R family when growing up spent hours of slave labor working on a desolate uninhabited piece of terra firma called the mound. Our drive way was just over an 1/8 of a mile long and culminated in a gravel culdesac in the center of the culdesac Grandma R wanted to put a flower garden with a waterfall, and other asthetically pleasing acroutements including rocks pilfered from various roadsides throughout the US, a varying assortment of bushes, dead tree stumps, rotten whiskey barrells, and a rusted out corn planter built in the late 1800's (about the same time Grandma R was born :) The mound has been a thorn in the side but also an icon to our family representing trials that bring us together and make us stronger despite the pain that is often times associated with these trials. So sit back and enjoy the reading.......

Instructions

If you notice over on the left side of the screen there are the labels of the entries, so you can click on and read the various entries. Only the most recent entries are displayed on the page, so you need to click on the to your left if something has been archived that you have not yet read. Each month will get its own folder within the applicable year.
B & K

Friday, November 21, 2008

The Old Farmhouse

I have some memories of Grandma and Grandpa R's farmhouse. I recall many get-togethers with cousins - playing pool and darts in the musty, dimly lit basement, the old boiler room, the creaky stairs and the narrow back door and hallway. I have 1 or 2 memories of grandpa singing and playing the accordian. I remember the feel of the carpet in the living room. I also recall breaking the cookie jar lid once, and Scott and Brent never let me live that down.







I remember how scary the attic was, with all the stories about bats. I don't know if I ever saw one, but I was always scared looking up the stairs. I don't know if I ever made it more than halfway up those attic stairs. I remember getting together on the side lawn and having a BBQ, and swinging on the tree branches. I remember once racing against some of my cousins across the flooded lawn in our underwear, while grandma and grandpa and aunts and uncles laughed at us.









I remember the old cherry tree at the top of the hill that led to the onion shed - every year we would climb up in that tree and eat fresh cherries. I also remember riding bikes back and forth in front of the big window, hoping to get invited inside for a cookie. I remember grandma using the hot press with her laundry, and I also remember her sitting there talking with great grandma Hadlock.

These are some pictures that I took when we were at the funeral over 2 years ago.

No comments: