Intro to the mound


Well here it is the first post in the stinkin mound blogspot. For those who are visitors to this site, the R family when growing up spent hours of slave labor working on a desolate uninhabited piece of terra firma called the mound. Our drive way was just over an 1/8 of a mile long and culminated in a gravel culdesac in the center of the culdesac Grandma R wanted to put a flower garden with a waterfall, and other asthetically pleasing acroutements including rocks pilfered from various roadsides throughout the US, a varying assortment of bushes, dead tree stumps, rotten whiskey barrells, and a rusted out corn planter built in the late 1800's (about the same time Grandma R was born :) The mound has been a thorn in the side but also an icon to our family representing trials that bring us together and make us stronger despite the pain that is often times associated with these trials. So sit back and enjoy the reading.......

Instructions

If you notice over on the left side of the screen there are the labels of the entries, so you can click on and read the various entries. Only the most recent entries are displayed on the page, so you need to click on the to your left if something has been archived that you have not yet read. Each month will get its own folder within the applicable year.
B & K

Monday, November 10, 2008

R remembers Gma and Gpa R(the original ones!)


I remember sleepovers at Grandmas where we (Heather and I) would start out in Aunt Dorothy and Aunt Leola's old room (the one with the laundry chute in it) and end up on the floor of Grandma's room, much to Grandpa's disgust!

Grandma's room was amazing. It had a big painting that was of an old-fashioned girl in a dress with white gloves. The headboard of their bed was kind of funky, with little diamond shapes quilted into its soft surface. They also had an alarm clock that glowed in the dark. They also had an old sock tied to the doorknob and crossing the latch because the draft would make the door slam.

One time I shut the door snugly (don't remember if I was alone or not) and it got wedged shut and I couldn't get out. I screamed and yelled and carried on until someone heard me and rescued me.

And I can't forget the stories that Grandma used to tell us about little black Sambo. We would beg for more, but poor Grandma would go to her room, and have about 15 minutes of peace before we would be knocking on her door, scared to sleep in our own room!

I remember using the bathroom that had an entrance from the back of the house. I remember having to use a lot of toilet paper, and clogging the toilet. I was so scared that it would overflow.

I also remember the cheese that Grandma had in her fridge. It had red wax on the outside and it tasted extra good! We also enjoyed the cookie jar, especially when there was those coconut shortbread cookies that were square and had ridges on them. The player piano was a huge draw, as was the organ with all of those keys and tabs to push. The song I remember most that Grandpa played on the player piano was "Tammy".

I remember being mad when the other cousins would come visit from out of town. (You know, the only ones who were from out of town--Boyd's kids, and Leola's kids--not so much Aunt Dorothy's bacause they were younger). They would get to stay at Grandma's house, where we just visited.

These are some of my memories of Grandma and Grandpa Roberts (Enid and Luther) while they were out at the fram house. Please add your memories to the mix so that we can all enjoy a little piece of our family history!

Mom used to forbid us to ride our bikes to Grandma's house, so we would ride them PAST grandma's house, back and forth, until she took pity on us and invited us inside!


ps. If you have some photos of Gma and Gpa Roberts or the old farmhouse, please add them to your "rememberances". Thanks.

No comments: